Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Life After God

Douglas Coupland, life journal book entitled Life after God is an remarkable description of life, is it a constant search for something, or is it just an aimless existence? These expressed hopes, fears and frustrations of the “Generation beyond God” (Chicago Tribute) scream of the reality that our society finds it self in, and by association I do as well :) . It’s been really weird two weeks of my life…lots of frustrations, feelings of aimlessness…maybe doubt…As I have been sitting in my office and doing no work at all, it stood out to me on my shelf, specifically its title, Life after God, I don’t know what this title means to me, being born into a Christian Home and now a pastor, but re-skimming the book, I was able to again connect with the aimlessness of someone else, not in my shoes, whose confessions in this book were real and honest and not just “church jargon” It was/is helpful to see through the eyes of some one raised with out religion period…to see the “impulses [that] flow in a world of malls and TV, Kraft dinners and jets. How do we cope with loneliness? Anxiety? The collapses of relationships? How do we reach the quiet safe layer of our lives? (Douglas Coupland) These were good questions to hear, honest questions, unafraid, not tied by any religious lingo, not vague and masked with fear…questions that perhaps I am only now willing to examine…