Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Hope


I love my job, although I must admit I am not great at it. I love talking with youth, getting to know them, learning with them, and ultimately sharing Jesus. There are many hard times when it feels like I am not making any kind of impact or I am not good at what I am doing, or some one more qualified should do this. But ultimately I am thankful that I have the privilege to share Jesus with anyone, and that I am paid for that… I was thinking about that the other day, would I do this (my work) if I was not paid, would I sacrifice my time (often my family time) and do this ministry if I was in lay position? Would I reschedule my time for youth? Would I do what it takes? My answer is yes…although I thought about that for a VERY long time. I think this ministry and the joy I receive in it (yes I do have joy in doing it, although sometimes I seem fed up) is part of my gifting that I have, and ultimately I can use this gift to: “…always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the HOPE that you have…” (I Pet. 3:15) And I do have hope, and often working with youth, Hope is the only word that can describe what keeps you going. But at the end of the day I see hope for the youth, I see the joy and the life that can invade their lives, and transform them, no matter the past…I have hope! It has been refreshing to think this morning about HOPE, I have forgotten to focus on Hope for a long time, and thoughts of death, purpose, loose ends have been in my thoughts, but today Hope has really invaded my space and I love it…what a wonderful word, hope.

12 comments:

Jessica said...

You're awesome at what you do (and I'm not just saying that because I'm your wife). I seriously couldn't imagine you doing anything else. You're perfect for youth ministry. You get engergized when you have kids over at the house. When you listen to people you give your full attention. When you talk to people you are always thoughtful, but fun. But ministry is still a journey. Your style and your different involvements may change over time. But I think you have a special gift working with people and I think you would be miserable working in front of a computer in a cubicle somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Paul: I've said it before...you are highly gifted for working with Youth. You create and nurture and maintain incredible connections with kids and you love them seemingly equally and unconditionally. We are truly blessed to have you in our community and church.
Janet Jackson

Paul Morgun said...

Thank you Janet, I really appreciate your comments, because I highly regard you! Thank you for being such a blessing to Jessica and I.



Paul

Incoming... said...

hey bumped into your site through Gil.
As a fellow Y.P. I know that from time to time i marvel at the how amazing it is that i have gotten paid to do this. i am also often stunned that a guy like me could make any difference in kids lives at all. And there are plenty of days when it seems that all my best efforts have just gotten flushed down the toilet.
It is no surprize to me that you had to process the paycheck question for VERY long time. And in the end we need to thank God some people still think that paying adults to help guide youth through this stage of life is important enough to carve out a salary from our church budgets. Even though when we figure out the per hour rate our salaries end up looking pretty slim.
My team is the Boston Bruins and really i compare cheering for the "B's" alot like doing youth ministry. i have little/no control over who is in my youth group. i have no control over who plays for Boston. And when you cheer for Boston sometimes you have to settle for smaller accomplishments than the Stanley Cup (like beating the Habs all year) And its the smaller spiritual 'accomplishments' that energize me and give me hope for the lives of my kids no matter who they are.
Keep on in the cold tundra.
Yeah and could you arrange for your youth group to toilet paper Gil's house sometime soon. I think i have some extra youth budget money i could send your way.
out

Paul Morgun said...

Thanks for your encouragement and the idea to toilet paper his house, that is never a bad a idea…I like your posting about Bruins, but I was going to ask, although they do beat Habs all year, how does it feel to get smoked by them in the play-offs….(I couldn’t resist, sorry) anyways, thanks for the encouragement.



Paul

Incoming... said...

you know how to cut a guy deep
i thought we were connecting at some deeper spiritual level and then whammo
it hurts it hurts ow it hurts!
out

Paul Morgun said...

You are right I must apologize and join forces with you to fight the criminally stupid idea of cheering for the Flames…like someone we know!

:)

Gil said...

Dale, don't be lured into this guy's web of deceit. There's a lot of insecurity there (what with being a Canucks fan and never winning anything). But seriously (take it from me), this argument is quicksand. DON'T EVEN START...

Paul Morgun said...

Ouch….I’ll tell you what is in quick sand, my heart….Ouch Gil Ouch….i was even accepting your flaw of cheering for the worst team in the NHL…but this OUCH I just don’t know…. 

Incoming... said...

ALL RIGHT you two
stop the hatin no use getting into that jazz about the best and worst team 'cause you know the issue has been settled.
I say if Vancouver can recover from the Bertuzzi fiasco and put a decent product on the ice - more power to them. And if Calgary can keep trapping their way to glory - hooray hooray!
But really this is Boston's year...
I look forward to the competition on the sportsnet pool once more.
And by the way Paul do i have my facts straight about your allegiance to the mighty Red Army???
out

Paul Morgun said...

The Red Army shall rise again to glory!

Paul ;)

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! accutane council legal Valtrex and aspirin pamela anderson placidand rhinoplasty Tooth whitening orange county tooth whitening st louis Effects neurontin natural progesterone http://www.los-angeles-face-lift-0.info Cartoon demon lord having sex with human Chicago hummer in rent zyrtec marvel colorado About web development career Shocking toy electric chair New years eve wedding invitations &aposevista informaion&apos Aston martin amv8 desktops Buick oldsmobile prices purchase phendimetrazine baccarat tip sport book online gambling