Thursday, August 18, 2005

Language

Recently I have been talking to my friends and family about language. Jessica had a really good Blog about language few days ago; I guess I am just echoing a lot of what she has said. But I find that so much of what we understand or choose to believe is wrapped around in how we understand certain words or phrases. It is no wonder that my friend who I will keep anonymous by calling him Gil D. no wait that’s to obvious lets say G. Dueck, find arguments about hockey or other trivial things but at the end of the day unearth that we are saying the same things, just with different words that mean different things to us.
I think part of my problem is adopting language and using it in insincere ways, I must admit that I am a product of ‘western’ culture when it comes to this, as we have this idea that we can say what we want when ever we want to and others have to listen to us, like its our right. I think the lesson that I am quickly learning is that patience, humbleness and LISTENING is much greater then my talking.

5 comments:

Gil said...

Excellent to see that you are learning to listen. We can only hope that this will be the beginning of a more harmonious relationship.

Paul Morgun said...

If I am learning to understand this language thing, it seems to be a two way street...If you know what I mean ;)

Incoming... said...

but you know how tricky Gil can be at word-smithing. I'd be a little concerned if you spent too much time LISTENING to Gil about hockey.
Just keepin it real...
out

Paul Morgun said...

Good point Dale

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »