Monday, March 27, 2006

Brian McLaren...

As some of you know about my continuing reading of the Brian McLaren's trilogy of A New Kind of Christian, The Story we find Ourselves in and now I am on the third book, The Last word and the Word after that...I have enjoyed the reading of these books, but must say that the third has been the most interesting so far. Brian's whole focus of the book is on Hell...What is it, what is it's doctrine and how did it come about? It has been very interesting as the main character Dan a pastor; has been struggling with the hell doctrine and its theology. I have just began the third book so I'm only on chapter 4 but the book raises some good questions and some thought provoking ideas. One that I would like to focus on today is the other side of the hell coin, heaven so my questions are: Is our whole pursuit of living a "Christian" life done with a goal that we will be rewarded? What I mean is do we live this way do we "care" for people only with the goal that we will be rewarded? Are our lives oriented on the prize only?

4 comments:

Incoming... said...

great question paul
of course we have that famous passage from the apostle about running to get the prize but again we have misconstrued that passage...
I was talking to Manfred (Mark's new pastor dude) I told him my ministry was so focused on relationships (i thought would impress him) He said, "thats fine but i think jesus was more interested in Bill, sally, steve, and jeff. It was a good reminder. "Relationships" still objectifies people. Jesus is concerned about the individual - not as a project, target, or becuas ethey are to desperately lost that they need him. He just likes/loves people. we just had a thing about the BEMA seat of Christ (where all our deeds will be reviewed and we will apparently get rewards for what we do) it kinda made me crawl cause i think it just reinforces this thing about how we have made our faith into an abstract mission that some how exists outside of us. Great points to ponder and come back to again and again...

Paul Morgun said...

Some good thoughts here Dale. I am still processing it all...stay tuned for more thoughts...

Dave said...

Good question - what if it's not about winning the prize but rather the preparation for the prize? What I mean is - I wonder if maybe our goal is heaven not because it's a prize to be won but rather because heaven is the end result we are preparing for. This could potentially change our focus. We would no longer have to be focussed on caring for enough people or developing enought relationships to "win" a prize. Instead we could be pursuing meaningful relationships with people knowing that we will be doing the same thing in eternity and maybe we would want to have these people we "care about" join us there.

Paul Morgun said...

thanks dave, good insight. What if our focus is not about heaven at all...what if we just love people because its good?