Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Exposure

Pretending...there is so much pretending in our lives. While pretending we have the right answers, that all our ducks are in a row. That Grace, Mercy, the Love of God makes clear sense in the face of hell, heaven, disasters, tragedies, terrorist acts, sickness, corruption, etc. In religious circles there seems to be an easy answer for many difficult questions. Having breakfast with a dear friend today who I haven't seen in a while, was good. My friend is also in a working enviroment where he is surrounded with "easy" answers to difficult life questions...I think pretending is much easier then getting greasy and dirty with people, I mean if we are "real" and actually have to dive into the chaos of someone else's life, that would be lots of work, commitment, effort, sleepless nights, busy days, lots of sweat, tears....I mean then we actually would have a real friendship...and we would have to say: I don't know...who needs that when we can just say " Everything is FINE....

4 comments:

Sarah Gingrich said...

oh amen....whew. My biggest struggle is presenting a gospel of mystery. I don't know why Jesus said this or did that....I don't know why God was a warring God....I don't understand predestination in regards to human choice. So not only do we roll up our sleeves and dive into people's messy lives, but we realize we have few clean cut answers for them. "I have decided to know nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified..."

Jessica said...

Especially as a pastor, missionary, or spouse thereof, there can be a lot of temptation to put on the front like you have it all together and that you know all the answers. The truth is that it is this kind of attitude that drives people away from the church. It's hard to be vunerable to someone who's "perfect". Its hard to ask questions of someone who "knows all the answers".
A very honest blog. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

What a great site
»

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »