Wednesday, May 10, 2006

DaVinci Code...

The other night I watched an hour documentary on the history channel about the DaVinci Code. It was interesting since there is so much hype about the book and the upcoming movie. The documentary goes to all the suggested places in the book, their history and the people behind them...The big issue was around Leonardo's painting of the last supper and how John could be Marry Magdalene, and the reality is that 'John' does look very feminine in the picture, but if further pictures that were painted by Leonardo of John are looked at, John looks very feminine in them as well, this then was attributed to Leonardo's sexual preference and contempt for the church. What ever the case the documentary concluded with this statement: "Although the claims that Dan Brown and the book make are fascinating, there is no real backing behind them, the only thing that is close to the truth is that some of this 'could' have happened...but there is no way of knowing...the phenomenon of the DaVinci Code is based on what if..." also timely thinkchristian.com had a small blog about the movie and the comments by Brian McLaren on the subject, which are worth asking for ourselves. I have not read the book so cannot say much more then what I heard on this documentary. I am interested in seeing the movie since I love seeing fiction and anything religious is always a treat. But, I guess it would only be logical for me to read it. Any of you have it, so I can borrow it?


(Leonardo "St. John the Baptist" 1513 - 1516)

4 comments:

Nathan said...

I thought that McLaren's thoughts were very interesting. Especially his thought that The DaVinci Code doesn't do any more damage than the Left Behind Series :D I would say that it probally does less, since Dan Brown writes from a very "I'm not a xian" point of view. I'm personally looking forward to the movie, I think it will be very interesting.

Paul Morgun said...

Very good points Nathan, that is how I feel about this whole thing. I would agree with you on the Left Behind series...and the damage that it does to Christians and those that view this as Christian material.

wibs said...

I have the book and you can borrow it, but only if you come get it.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »