Monday, May 15, 2006

Everything is Illuminated


Just finished watching one of the most superb movies I have ever seen. Now I am a bit biased as the whole story takes place in Ukraine my native home. As an immigrant it is easy for me to understand a longing for home, for the past that connects me to my motherland. Although my home is here in Canada, there is always a part of me that wishes nothing more but to go back to be there…just to walk the streets of my childhood. Saturday evening I watched Everything is Illuminated The story is about a young Jewish American man (played by Elijah Woods) who embarks on a journey to find the woman who saved his grandfather during World War II. But encounters much more, this was a powerful movie, of how history and where we come from has to do with everything that we are. Near its end there is a powerful quote: “Everything is illuminated in the light of the past, it is always along side of us, on the inside of us looking out…inside out.”