Friday, June 16, 2006

Tomatoes, grease and Michael Moore

The other day, the highschool was doing an Amazing Race, which is really cool way to do Gym, have kids, run be in the fresh air and do cool solving activities. The School asked to have the church as one of the stops and asked me to do a food thing, "healthy choices, some kind of salad and a small gross aspect to it...
salad
So i went bought lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli, a salad dressing, and made the salad, which was fine, then for the gross part I had some Herring Fillets in paprika sauce, which in my mind was the gross part of the food challenge. The youth had to eat a small plate of a salad and less then a spoon of this herring...which was exciting I set up a table with menu and healthy choices poster. Figuring this is going to be great to watch the youth squirm while trying to eat the herring...
herring fillets
Turns out that majority of them loved the fish, but here is the crazy part, they (some, many) would not and did not eat the salad!!!! To quote them: "Tomato euuuhghhhh that's grosss!!! I can't eat lettuce and tomato...I will not eat this...I have never eaten tomato or lettuce!!! NOOO that's gross!!!" WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In a culture of obese, calorie loaded, McDonalds grease infested, teeth rotting, video games playing generation my youth won't eat vegetables?? (ok I have no idea how the video games play in this...but my rant is better this way!) I demand to know how can a kid grow up with out eating vegetables in his life?? What are we doing to our bodies, sure who doesn't want to look like Michael Moore, but does it have to start from childhood?

Michael Moore

note
: I also eat calorie infested, McDonalds grease infested food...but vegetables are also something I eat.

6 comments:

Gil said...

Which vegetables do you eat? I've never seen you eat ANY vegetables now that I think about it. Is there a plank in your eye that needs removing?

Sarah Gingrich said...

Hee hee. I've seen you eat potatoes...beyond that, hmmm. And that might just have been because we were all poor and ate from the Caronport free potato stock. It's weird though, Sophia loves tomatoes and celery, and the kids down here in Chile actually fight over food we have to force kids to eat in the states. Not to say they don't have bad habits too...if you set a plate of cookies out there is a frantic, no holds-barred panic of reaching arms and elbowing. But this is in a way justified in the fact that it is a genuine treat to them, not something that happens every day. Alright, I've rambled enough. Have a good day!

Paul Morgun said...

lol what ever gil...sarah good point, when we lived in USSR one of the treats we used to eat was corn, tomatoes and cucumbers...it was like the best food ever...although some like Gil did not note my note at the bottom that I do eat crappy food, I love vegetables...I just dont eat enough of it...although I would hardly turn a salad down as gross...lol...

Anonymous said...

McDonalds food is the lest transfat filled compared to other popular ff chains

Shannon B. said...

That is bizarre! And more than a little bit frightening.

amy said...

you're right Gilbert, pavel does NOT eat vegetables.