Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hauerwas on education...

Found this on Faith and Theology blog, I wonder what some of my Bible College professor friends think of this quote:

Hauerwas on education

“As a way to challenge such a [liberal] view of freedom, I start my classes by telling my students that I do not teach in a manner that is meant to help them make up their own minds. Instead, I tell them that I do not believe they have minds worth making up until they have been trained by me. I realize such a statement is deeply offensive to students since it exhibits a complete lack of pedagogic sensitivities. Yet I cannot imagine any teacher who is serious who would allow students to make up their own minds.”

—Stanley Hauerwas, “Christian Schooling or Making Students Dysfunctional,” in Sanctify Them in the Truth: Holiness Exemplified (Nashville: Abingdon, 1998), p. 220.


ht to Faith and Theology

2 comments:

Gil said...

Hauerwas tends to exaggerate when he makes a point but I think he's on to something. We have an overly democratic understanding of how biblical interpretation and theological reflection functions in the life of the church. He says in another place that what the church most needs is to get the Bible OUT of the hands of individual believers because they don't know what to do with it (another strong statement!).

We're embarrassed to say that some people are better equipped than others but I think we all know that it's true. Having said that, I think a big part of teaching is to help people learn the responsibility that they have to use their minds responsibly. I think it's part of a teacher's job to show them how to make up their minds.

Paul Morgun said...

I like what you have to say Gil. Hauerwas is often over the top. But I suppose we don't expect medical students to make up their on mind but rather be taught how to preform a surgery. I know this is pretty out their comparison but I don't mind where Hauerwas is leading with this. Plus I think understanding his context and thinking helps in this area.