Friday, February 06, 2009

Stories...

A while back I mentioned to someone that I wanted to write a story one day, after much laughing in my direction, we had a good visit.  So anyways here is a good quote about stories:

"A great story, like a great work of art, is both simple and complex.  It is simple enough in its narrative form for a small child to comprehend the essential movement of the plot, its characters and scenes, and its central themes. At the same time, to the more sophisticated hearer it is like a deep pool of meaning whose depths are not easily fathomed, perhaps never completely exhaustible, with complex undercurrents and mysterious recesses and hidden springs.  Any attempt to reduce such a pool to its surface water is to mistake a pool for a puddle."  - Conrad Hyers

Thats all hey, that shouldn't be too hard... hmmm. 

2 comments:

Eric said...

Would that it were so easy...however too many authors forget such a simple maxim....

Anonymous said...

You should Definitely write a story Paul. And then when you have figured out that whole fathomless pool not puddle thing, please please e-mail me and tell me how for I am still doggedly plugging away over here in Washington hoping that my many hours of typing will some day evolve into just such a creature.
God Bless,
Kristen Wilks