Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Pastor


Finishing few of the school books, digests, articles in the past few weeks, there has been a book that I have been waiting patiently to read, not for school, not because of debates around it but simply to enjoy it, soak in the wisdom of a man that I really appreciate and think highly of, and a man that my co-pastor nudged me to read back in the day when I was a pastor. Today I began reading Eugene Peterson's memoir called The Pastor, it automatically struck a chord with me. After serving as a Youth Pastor for 7 years, I appreciate so much of Peterson' wisdom and insight of the journey that brings people to be a pastor, or maybe to acknowledge that they are a pastor. To have a voice in a community and to be trusted to have a voice.

Here are some quotes thus far that resonate with me:

“I had never planned to be a pastor, never was aware of any inclination to be a pastor. And then—at the time it seemed to arrive abruptly—there it was: Pastor. I was a pastor long before I knew I was a pastor; I just never had a name for it”

"[pastors assignment, job is] to pay more attention to what God does than what I do and then to guide others to this awareness.”

"I wonder if at the root of the defection is a cultural assumption that all leaders are people who “get things done,” and “make things happen.” That is certainly true of the primary leadership models that seep into our awareness from the culture–politicians, businessmen, advertisers, publicists, celebrities, and athletes. But while being a pastor certainly has some of these components, the pervasive element in our two-thousand-year pastoral tradition is not someone who “get things done” but rather the person placed in the community to pay attention and call attention to “what is going on right now” between men and women, with one another and with God–this kingdom of God that is primarily local, relentlessly personal, and prayerful “without ceasing.”

I love these thoughts... I will update more as I read, or feel like sharing.


No comments: